Wiley-Mayes House
518 East Market Street
New Albany, IN 47150

Listing Description:
The Wiley-Mayes House was moved to this lot sometime after 1898 and before 1905. It appears that this home was first located at 510 East Market Street before it was sold to the Ohio Valley Telephone Co. in March 1898. The telephone company purchased 100 feet of property fronting Market Street from the corner of East Fifth, including the 510 address, for $1,650.00.

Mrs. Rachael Bauer was one of the first residents of the home and was listed here in the 1860 New Albany City Directory. George Wilt, one of the victims of the explosion of the steamer, B.F. Devol, resided here from 1863 through 1865.

By 1868, the Isaac and Hannah Wiley family was living here and would remain until March 1898. Isaac, familiarly known as “Boss Wiley,” had a blacksmith shop at the corner of East Fifth and Market streets where his son, Alfred, also worked. Alfred would eventually take over the business with his father’s passing in September 1886. Hannah passed away in December 1890.

Alfred Wiley sold the property in March 1898, and it was probably at this time when the house was moved to its present site. Frank and Harriett Norton owned the lot, having purchased it in March 1892, and lived next door at 522 East Market. The Nortons used this house for rental purposes for the next 21 years. One occupant was Stonewall Jackson Gardner, founder and president of the S.J. Gardner Foundry & Machine Company, located at West First Street and the Ohio River.

In March 1919, Edward and Mary Mayes purchased the house. Mr. Mayes was a druggist with Charles D. Knoefel, and after Mr. Knoefel’s retirement, he took over the thriving downtown New Albany drugstore business, located at 110-112 East Market Street. Sadly, a year after the purchase of the home, Edward committed suicide at the age of 52. His widow Mary continued operating the drugstore through 1935. Mrs. Mayes remained in the house until the late 1930s, although it appears that she had divided it into two living units as early as 1933. She passed away in February 1942 at 75 years.

The home, which had been divided into multiple units, had sat vacant for several years when it was purchased by New Albany contractor Andy Carter in 2016. He completely rehabbed the house both inside and out, and returned it to a single-family configuration before reselling the property. The project was awarded a 'Facelift Award' from the New Albany Historic Preservation Commission in May 2018.

Driving Directions:

Additional Information:
Building Style: Two-thirds double pile
Year Built: c.1860

Bookmark and Share  Print 
Copyright © 2024
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved