HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
Paulsen-Quebbeman House
335 East 15th Street
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
Albert W. Paulsen purchased this lot in June 1883 from real estate developer Andros Huncilman for $495 and had this house built immediately. Mr. Paulsen was a smoother and later an examiner for Washington C. DePauw’s American Plate Glass Company, the largest factory of its kind in the United States, located on New Albany’s riverfront between East 10th and 14th Streets. Albert and his wife Elizabeth moved from the area by the mid-1890s but continued ownership of the property until June 1901. The family would later return to New Albany where Mr. Paulsen was engaged in the insurance business.

The house saw numerous owners, using it for rental purposes, until Karl and Mary Quebbeman purchased the home in July 1943. This would begin an occupancy by the Quebbeman family that would span almost 60 years. Karl was a retired maintenance engineer at ICI Americas in Charlestown, Indiana. He, along with his wife, owned the Country Antique Shop, specializing in antique lamps, parts and repairs. The shop was located in their home. Mr. Quebbeman died in September 1996 at 85 years of age. Mary remained in the house until her death in March 2001.

The house was demolished in December 2016 due to its deteriorated condition.



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: gabled ell
Year Built: 1883
 

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2018
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved