Calumet Club
1614 East Spring Street
New Albany, IN 47150

Listing Description:
The Calumet Club was established in 1911 and had a membership of 800 men by its heydey in the 1920s. The organization completed this new meeting facility in 1920 at a cost of $60,000. The photo below, from the collection of the Indiana Room at the Floyd County Library, shows the building soon after its construction. In addition to meeting rooms, the building also included a bowling alley and a basketball court. The club fielded numerous sports teams including basketball, baseball, football, tennis and bowling teams. The club disbanded in 1932 but continued to have reunions through the 1980s.

The structure then became home to the New Albany Armory and the Indiana National Guard in the 1930s. By the late 1950s, the Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America were occupying the building.

After years of neglect, the building was purchased by the late Richard Bliss and his family in 2000, and transformed into a reception facility and offices.  

Driving Directions:

Additional Information:
Building Style: Arts and Crafts
Year Built: 1920

Photo Gallery:

Click a Photo Above for a Larger Version

Bookmark and Share  Print 
Copyright © 2024
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved