HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
Louis C. Stein House
315 East 11th Street
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
This home was built around 1885 for investment purposes, on what was then known as John Street. The first owner-occupants were Louis and Matilda Stein. They purchased the home in January 1906 for $1800. Mr. Stein was the proprietor of the popular Stein's Shoe Store, which was founded in 1867 and operated in downtown New Albany for 120 years.

The Steins moved to a new home at 1115 East Main Street in 1913, and the house saw many subsequent owners and occupants. It was completely rehabilitated in 2011-12 as part of the 'Midtown Renaissance' project, including the removal of an inappropriate addition and the reconstruction of the front porch to its original appearance. The photo below shows the home as it appeared prior to the rehabilitation.  



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: shotgun
Year Built: c.1885
 



Photo Gallery:

Click a Photo Above for a Larger Version

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2018
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved