Baylor-Robison House
411 East 11th Street
New Albany, IN 47150

Listing Description:
It appears that this home was built in 1904 on the north end of Lot 26 at the same time the Baylor-Beard House was constructed on the south end of the same lot at 1017 East Spring Street. Both were constructed for John M. and Fannie T. Baylor for investment purposes. John was a prominent citizen of New Albany and had been treasurer of Floyd County for four years. He was on the board of directors of the New Albany Trust Co. and a large stockholder in that institution. The Baylors were also extensive land owners.

The home’s first residents were newlyweds Pearl and Virgil Utz. Utz was a postal clerk for the Pennsylvania Railroad.

The house saw at least 15 other families and individuals over the next 70 years, until finally it appears the first owner-occupants of the house were Chester and Ruth Robison, purchasing it in April 1977. Robison was retired from Anaconda Aluminum in Louisville, Kentucky. The couple remained in the house until about 2001 when they relocated to Genung Drive in New Albany. Chester passed in January, 2018 and Ruth just four months later in May.

Driving Directions:

Additional Information:
Building Style: gabled ell
Year Built: 1904

Bookmark and Share  Print 
Copyright © 2024
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved