Erhart-Schefold House
1207 East Spring Street
New Albany, IN 47150

Listing Description:
George Erhart and his wife purchased this lot on April 12, 1865, and had this home - displaying elements of both the Gothic Revival and Italianate styles - built a short time later. The first listing for the Erhart family residing at this location was in the 1868 City Directory. Mr. Erhart ran a restaurant, bakery and confectionery located on Pearl Street in downtown New Albany. In May 1871 Merril and Nancy Weir purchased the home and resided here twelve years. Mr. Weir was cashier for the Second National Bank. Frank and Elizabeth Schefold were next to purchase the property - in March 1883 - and lived here for over 45 years. Mr. Schefold was a civil engineer, and worked for a short period of time for the Washington C. DePauw Glass Works as an engineer. By 1929 the house had become rental property, the upper floor divided into apartments and the first floor fitted for a physician's office.

Driving Directions:

Additional Information:
Building Style: Gothic Revival/Italianate
Year Built: c.1865

Bookmark and Share  Print 
Copyright © 2024
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved