HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
Long-Graf House
1945 East Elm Street
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
The lot on which the home is located was purchased by Clara Long on November 21, 1891.  The building permit, which was signed by Clara Long, is dated December 5, 1891 and the building’s cost was $2200.  She and her husband James sold the home on February 9, 1900 to Sarah and John Vaughn and Allie Jones. 
 
The Jacob Graf family purchased the property from the Vaughns and Jones on September 20, 1904.  The property stayed in the Graf family until October 22, 1976.  The property then quickly passed through two other owners before Ken and Sherry Brock purchased the property in 1978.  The Brocks remained in the home until 2008, and initiated its local historic district designation to ensure its protection. The home underwent an extensive rehabilitation in 2009.    
The J. Graf Crupper Co. was also located on this site, in a building that was formerly located behind the house on the alley. It operated here from 1904 until 1964 manufacturing cruppers, which are a component of a horse harness.  Graf, a native of Switzerland, had begun his business in Charlestown, Indiana.  Son Oscar Graf also worked in the business, which closed upon the younger Graf’s death. 
 
Products from the facility were distributed around the world, and at one point the company had a virtual monopoly on the market.  In later years, as the market for cruppers diminished, the major product manufactured here became grip handles.  The advertisement below shows the facility as it appeared in 1908. The building was demolished in November 2009 due to severe deterioration.



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: Queen Anne
Year Built: 1892
 



Photo Gallery:

Click a Photo Above for a Larger Version

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2018
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved