East Spring Street School
1613 East Spring Street
New Albany, IN 47150

Listing Description:
The first public school on this site - known as School Number 8 - was constructed on this site in 1868. That structure, seen below in a photo from the collection of the Indiana Room at the Floyd County Library, was torn down in 1938 to make way for the current building, which was built as a Public Works Administration (PWA) project during the Great Depression.

The name was changed to M. Lucille Reisz Elementary School in 1977 to honor its long-time principal, but the original name remains carved in the limestone entry. The school was closed in May 1991 due to declining enrollment. The building has been subsequently been used for school and county offices.

Driving Directions:

Additional Information:
Building Style: Art Deco
Year Built: 1939

Photo Gallery:

Click a Photo Above for a Larger Version

Bookmark and Share  Print 
Copyright © 2024
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved