Brown-McCulloch House
1605 East Spring Street
New Albany, IN 47150

Listing Description:
George Beckley and his wife purchased this lot from Washington C. DePauw for $800 in 1873, and had this home built about two years later. Mr. Beckley was a glass cutter for the Star Glass Company, later known as the DePauw American Plate Glass Works. Mrs. Margaret Brown, widow of John Brown, purchased the house in 1876, and resided here until her death in 1885. Another owner followed before the Louis Cousins family bought the house in 1888. Mr. Cousins was a conductor for the Louisville, New Albany & St. Louis Railroad. It was while the Cousins owned the home that the west bay was added to the house. The house then saw several different owners until Thomas McCulloch purchased the property in April 1911. Mr. McCulloch was a partner in the cement contracting firm of W. S. Condra Co., located on the north side of Market Street, east of Silver Street. The house's distinctive porch with fluted cast concrete columns was likely added by Mr. McCulloch. The McCulloch family remained in the home until about 1955.
The house was subsequently divided into apartments, and was threatened with demolition in 2005. It was purchased by Indiana Landmarks in 2006 and stabilized; it has subsequently been sold to a private developer, who is completing the rehabilitation. The photo below shows the home as it appeared in 1969.

Driving Directions:

Additional Information:
Building Style: Italianate
Year Built: 1875
Year Renovated: 2006/2013

Photo Gallery:

Click a Photo Above for a Larger Version

Bookmark and Share  Print 
Copyright © 2024
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved