HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
Andros Huncilman House
839 Cedar Bough Place
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
This dwelling was the home of Andros Huncilman, the real estate developer who initially owned all the land in the Cedar Bough area. It is the oldest dwelling in the district and was possibly moved to this location in the late nineteenth century, although no documentation has been discovered to support this. Tradition states that it was a farm house from a nearby property. The 1889 plat of an adjacent parcel does show the outline of a house that is a similar configuration. It is known, however, that the house was situated in its current location by at least 1890 when the Huncilman family began to develop the street.  Following Andros Huncilman’s death, his widow, Annis Huncilman moved from this house to another dwelling on Cedar Bough (818). In 1903, Ferdinand T. Kahler of Kahler  Manufacturing owned the home (he later built the adjacent home at 837 Cedar Bough). The McIntosh and Dudkese families lived in the dwelling during the 1920s, and during the 1930s, the Tommy B. Lancaster family lived in the dwelling. Tommy E. Lancaster, who was a teenager at the time his family moved to Cedar Bough, grew up to be a well-known local restaurateur. During the 1940s, the house was divided into three apartments. By the mid-1950s it was converted back to a single-family home. Vinyl siding was added in 1983 over asbestos shingles, and the porch was rebuilt around the same time.



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: composite
Year Built: c.1883
 

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2018
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved