HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
Browning-Dennis House
843 Cedar Bough Place
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
Dry goods merchant Wiley Browning purchased this double lot from Andros Huncilman in November 1892 for $3000. This home was built immediately after, at a cost of $5000. The Brownings lived at the northeast corner of East 12th and Main streets until their stately new home was completed in 1893. Mr. Browning was a successful merchant, but at the time of his sudden death in September 1896, he was employee of the dry goods firm of J.M. Robinson, Norton & Co. in Louisville. Wiley was only 58 years old at the time of his passing. In March 1898, David Dennis purchased the property for $4000. Mr. Dennis came to New Albany from Salem, Indiana in 1892 and was engaged in the wholesale grocery business. He was a member of the firm of Fawcett, Dennis & Co., located at 317 State Street in downtown New Albany. After his death in July 1912, the house saw numerous residents until the early 1940s. Among them were Alice and S. Vaughn Conner, both of whom worked for the D.F. Bowman Company, and Jospeh P. Palmer, manager of the Ames Shovel & Tool Company. It was then divided into four apartments, and remained so until it was returned to a single-family dwelling by the current owner in the late 1970s. The photo below shows the house in 1969.



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: Queen Anne
Year Built: 1893
 



Photo Gallery:

Click a Photo Above for a Larger Version

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2018
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved