HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
Ferdinand N. Kahler House
837 Cedar Bough Place
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
Ferdinand N. Kahler purchased the home at 839 Cedar Bough Place and the adjoining vacant lot in 1903 from the Huncilman family. The Kahlers lived at 839 until their new home was completed next door at 837 around 1920. Kahler founded the Kahler Manufacturing Company - a downtown New Albany woodworking enterprise making train interiors and game tables - soon after his family moved "to the Bough." An inventor who held five U.S. patents, Kahler was also an entrepreneur: he founded the Falls City Motor Car Company in 1913 and later founded the Ohio Falls Motor Car Company. This company produced the 'Pilgrim' motor car in New Albany. Kahler later contracted with Henry Ford, becoming one of only five suppliers of Model T chassis for the Ford Motor Company, from 1915 to 1925. A devastating tornado tore through New Albany in March 1917, destroying the factory, which was located in the north "Y" area of New Albany, near Cedar Bough Place. Detroit leaders attempted to lure Kahler to move his operation to that city, but he instead rebuilt a larger facility in the same New Albany location. Mr. Kahler died at age 62 in November 1927 and his widow, Mary, resided in the home until her death in 1932. Several other prominent families have resided here since, including the Thornbrough, Lorch, Wunderlich, Wilcox, Hartfield and Arbaugh families. The home received a 'Facelift Award' from the New Albany Historic Preservation Commission in 2011.



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: bungalow
Year Built: c.1920
 

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2018
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved