HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
Charles E. Richards House
844 Cedar Bough Place
New Albany, IN 47150




Listing Description:
In May of 1906, Charles E. Richards purchased lot #2 on the Cedar Bough Plat from Samuel G. Huncilman and his wife, and immediately had this house built. 
 
At the time of publication of the 1907 New Albany City Directory, Mr. Richards was listed as principal of the East Fourth Street School in New Albany.  He later taught at New Albany High School when it was located in the 500 block of East Spring Street. Charles died in March of 1925 and his widow, Henrietta, remained in the home until the early 1930s.
 
The Bernard O. Umbach family resided in the house during the 1930s. During the 1940s, a number of different occupants were listed as living here. 
 
As early as 1949, Roy Becker and his family were living here.  Mr. Becker was paymaster for the Colonial Supply Co. During this time that the house was divided into two apartments, but has since been returned to its original single-family configuration. The home underwent an extensive rehabilitation in the late 2000s, and was awarded a 'Facelift Award' from the New Albany Historic Preservation Commission in 2010 for that work. 



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Building Style: Queen Anne
Year Built: 1906
 

Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2018
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved