HOME | ABOUT | NEWS | EVENTS | RESOURCES | FAQs | CONTACT | TOUR

 
HPC presents 2020 and 2021 Facelift Awards
Monday November 22, 2021


Photos courtesy of Daniel Andis (danfromindiana.com).  

Winners of the 13th and 14th annual Facelift Awards were, in the Downtown Historic District: 



Graf-Conner Buildings - now known as New Albany City Hall
146-150 East Main Street

Built c.1847 and 1855, Federal style
Owner: City of New Albany
Contractor: Denton Floyd Real Estate Group
Restoration completed 2021

Work included replicating the missing cornice, installing historically-accurate six-over-six replacement windows on the Main Street elevation and metal windows on the south and west elevations, cleaning and repointing the masonry, replicating historic storefronts between the original limestone columns and adding appropriate signage, in addition to significant structural repairs and complete interior rehabilitation. 




Walter Mann Building
212-214 State Street

Built c.1848, Federal style
Owner: Louis Schmitt
Contractor: Resch Construction
Restoration completed 2020

Work included pressure washing and repainting the facade, installing historically-appropriate upper-story windows and reconstructing a period storefront.




George Goodbub Building
218-220 State Street

Built 1888, Italianate style
Owner: Louis Schmitt
Contractor: Resch Construction
Restoration completed 2020

Work included repairing and repainting the original cornice, stripping paint from the facade and restoring the original brick and limestone, installing period-appropriate second and third floor windows, rebuilding the storefront based on the historic design, and adding period-appropriate signage. 




Benjamin Briggs Building
121 East Market Street 

Built 1891, Italianate style
Owner/Contractor: Steve Resch
Restoration completed 2019

Work included repairing the box gutters and downspouts, restoring and repainting the original cornice and window hoods, cleaning and repainting the brick, installing new, full-height upper story windows, and installing a historically-appropriate storefront. 




John Briggs Block
123 East Market Street

Built 1872, Italianate style
Owner/Contractor: Steve Resch
Restoration completed 2019

Work included repairing the box gutters and downspouts, restoring and repainting the original cornice and window hoods, cleaning and repainting the masonry, installing new upper-story windows to match the original detailing, and installing a historically-accurate storefront. 




J.J. Newberry Company Building
313-317 Pearl Street

Built 1901, Neoclassical style
Owners: Ross and Diana Wallace
Contractors: DC Contractors, Justin Denison, co-owner
Restoration completed 2020

Work included repainting the original cornice and window hoods, cleaning and repainting the facade, installing period-appropriate upper story windows, replicating a historically-accurate storefront, period lighting and signage, and complete upper story rehab into the owners' residence. 




Danforth-Briggs-Cody House
330 East 3rd Street

Built 1853, Greek Revival style
Owners: Terrence and Peggy Cody
Contractors: Fidelity Roofing Company and Resch Construction
Restoration completed 2020

Work included installation of a new, standing-seam metal roof, repairing or replacing gutters, exterior paint removal, masonry repairs and repointing, and repairs and repainting of all exterior wooden trim, windows and doors. 


In the East Spring Street Historic District:



Foreman-Black House
1509 East Spring Street

Built c.1890, Queen Anne style
Owners: Dale and Keely Smith
Restoration completed 2020

Work included continued restoration over the years, including installation of a new dimensional shingle roof and exterior repainting to highlight the home's architectural details. 




George Fleisher Grocery Building
1638 East Spring Street

Built c.1880, Italianate style
Owners: Bliss family
Restoration completed 2020

The Bliss family has owned and maintained the property for years. They welcomed the retro-styled Uptown mural to be painted on the east wall of the building, and recently replaced the modern storefront with a more historically-appropriate design, including revealing original columns. 


Within the Mansion Row Historic District:



Addition to the Main Street School
802 East Market Street

Built 1910, Beaux Arts style
Owners: Rob and Carrie Klaus
Restoration completed 2020

Work included scraping, repointing and repainting the exterior, replacing and painting downspouts to lessen their visual impact, adding two ADA ramps in a historically-sensitive manner, installing appropriate signage, and adding an awning over the west entrance. 




James and Lizzie Wray House
1315 East Main Street

Built c.1920, gable-front Bungalow style
Owners: Chad and Tara Stenberg
Contractor: Chad Stenberg
Restoration completed 2021

Work included replacing the roof and guttering system, repainting, restoring the original windows, adding a rear dormer with historically-accurate windows, redesigning a non-historic rear addition, removing a side entrance that led to an upstairs apartment, constructing a period-appropriate garage, repairing or replacing all concrete steps and sidewalks, and replacing dilapidated fencing. 


Award winning projects also occurred outside the city's designated historic districts. Three projects were recognized from the Silver Grove neighborhood:



Paquette-Bonifer House
2108 Ekin Avenue

Built 1914, Western bungalow style
Owners: Susie and Ralph Smith / Stephen and Kari Smith

The Smiths have continued a tradition of preservation at this home, which has included continued preservation and repainting of the original clapboard siding and windows, adding a new gutter system, and enhancement of the property with beautiful landscaping and flowers. 




Louis and Sophia Bir House
2109 Ekin Avenue

Built 1884, Italianate style
Owners: Jonah and Allison Sage
Contractor: Andy Carter
Restoration completed 2020

Work included demolition of the c.1910 commercial storefront and reconstruction of the original front porch with chamfered posts and salvaged antique brackets, re-roofing, removing artificial siding and restoring much of the original wood siding, restoring many of the original wood windows, repairing the brick foundation, restoring the original front door, repainting the home in a two-color scheme, and adding and new screened porch at the rear. 




Frank and Matilda Seibel House
2126 Ekin Avenue

Built c.1918, Colonial Revival style
Owners: Chandler Casey and Natasha Foley
Contractor: Wade Thaxton
Restoration completed 2020

Work included cleaning out the interior of the dwelling, re-roofing, structural repairs, scraping and repainting the exterior, re-opening the enclosed front porch with period-appropriate porch posts, and adding landscaping. 


In the Midtown neighborhood:



Johnson-Morris House
619 East Elm Street 

Built 1891, Queen Anne style
Owners: Seth Brown-Keene and Halina Ruble
Restoration ongoing

Work has included removing artifical siding and replacing it with cementitious siding resembling the original clapboard, repainting the house, and continuing to replace missing historic architectural elements. 

In the Uptown neighborhood:



Elias Laib Building
624 Vincennes Street

Built 1889, Italianate style
Owner/Contractor: Andy Carter

After the city acquired and cleaned out the building, Andy Carter purchased it from the city. Work included re-roofing, replacing artificial siding on the rear addition with new fiber-cement siding, cutting in new windows on the Culbertson Avenue elevation for an apartment, cleaning and repointing the masonry, replacing the non-original windows with units similar to the originals, restoring the original storefront, and allowing installation of an Uptown mural on the south wall.

And last but not least,



William Z. Aydelot House, now known as the Sporting Club at the Farm
4939 Highway 111

Built 1868, Italianate style
Owners: Bobby Brooks III and Jack Koetter
Contractor: Resch Construction
Restoration completed 2021

Work included installation of a new roof, cleaning and repainting the exterior masonry, painting the original corbels and bays in a two-color scheme, recreating the bracketed front porch posts and restoring the original paneled front door, sidelights and transom. 
Comments




Bookmark and Share  Print 
 
Copyright © 2021
New Albany Historic
Preservation Commission
All Rights Reserved