Bruno Knoefel Residence & Drug Store
1417-1419 East Spring Street
New Albany, IN 47150

Listing Description:
This building was constructed in 1892 at a cost of $3500, replacing an earlier structure on the site. It was home and residence of E. Bruno and Caroline Knoefel. The building is believed to have been designed by noted New Albany architect Milton C. Pritchett, who resided in Silver Hills and had offices in Louisville and in Beford, Indiana. 

Druggist Bruno Knoefel began working in the business as a clerk at his father's store. By 1888, he had his own drug store, located at 1421 East Spring Street. Bruno was a charter member of the Indiana Pharmaceutical Association and held license number one. He also served two terms as president of the association. After moving to this location, he remained in business until the early 1920s, when Eugene Endris took over the establishment. 

Several other unrelated busnesses followed in the late 1920s until Charles Callahan opened his drugstore around 1930. Mr. Callahan and his wife, Jennie, also resided here, just as the Knoefels had done. By the early 1940s John Dougherty was running Dougherty's Drug Store here and continued through the early 1970s.

One last drug store, Alrae Drugs, opened here for about three years and closed in the mid-1970s. Other subsequent uses for the structure included an upholstery shop and a photography studio. The present owners purchased and began rehabilitating the building in January 2014.

The photo below shows the building in 1969.

Driving Directions:

Additional Information:
Building Style: Queen Anne
Year Built: 1892

Photo Gallery:

Click a Photo Above for a Larger Version