parking lot
120 East Main Street
New Albany, IN 47150

Listing Description:
This two-level parking deck was constructed to great fanfare in 1954, on the former site of the YMCA building. The Romanesque Revival-style YMCA building - seen below - was constructed in 1893 and included two gyms, a pool, a reading room and a chapel. In 1922, the state purchased the building for use by the Indiana National Guard. It was also subsequently used by Goodwill Industries, prior to its demolition in 1954. 
The YMCA itself replaced a much earlier building at the site. According to a New Albany Daily Ledger article of October 2, 1891: 
Capt. John Nafius, who has the contract for tearing down the old brick building at the southwest corner of Main and Pearl streets, to make room for the hall of the Y.M.C.A., has commenced the work of demolition. This building was erected in 1818, by John Paxton, from whom it was purchased by Mason Fitch, father of Mrs. Mary L. Bragdon. Mrs. Bragdon's mother was a Paxton, so the property remained in possession of the same family until its transfer a few months ago by Mrs. Bragdon to the Y.M.C.A. The building is an old landmark of the city. From a second story window of it Mrs. Paxton saw John Damon drag the body of his murdered victim, concealed in a bed tick, from a little one-story building at the southeast corner of Pearl and Main streets to the river, into which he threw it. Mrs. Paxton was a witness at the trial of Damon, who was convicted and hung, being the first man executed in Floyd county. He was hung in 1821.

(as included on the Facebook page of the Indiana Room, New Albany-Floyd County Public Library) 

Driving Directions:

Additional Information:
Year Built: 1954

Photo Gallery:

Click a Photo Above for a Larger Version