St. Mark's United Church of Christ
222 East Spring Street
New Albany, IN 47150

Listing Description:
The church now known as St. Mark's United Church of Christ has its roots in a 'German Evangelical, Lutheran and Reformed Congregation' established in 1837. The church has gone through several different names, locations and buildings since.

Pictured below is the 1869 church - heavily damaged and rebuilt after an 1886 fire - with the parsonage beside. The later, postcard view shows the Sunday School building, constructed in 1899 on the site of the frame parsonage, as well as the new parsonage.

The last service was held in the old church building in January 1957, with the new, modern church dedicated in November 1958. The new building was designed by Harold Wagoner Architects of Philadelphia and noted local firm Walker Applegate Oakes and Ritz, and the stained glass windows were designed and manufactured by Henry Willett of Philadelphia. The education building, located across the alley to the east of the church, was built in 1968 in a similar modern style.

Driving Directions:

Additional Information:
Building Style: modern
Year Built: 1957-58

Photo Gallery:

Click a Photo Above for a Larger Version