Peter C. Vernia Double House
409 Bank Street
New Albany, IN 47150

Listing Description:
Peter Vernia was a carpenter who worked with the prolific New Albany master builders and architects William and James Banes. The Banes brothers were responsible for several notable residential commissions, including the William S. Culbertson Mansion at 914 East Main Street and the Widows’ Home at 707 East Main Street. Mr. Vernia purchased this lot in 1872 and it is highly likely that he, along with the Banes brothers, constructed this building. Mr. Vernia used the double house for investment purposes, since his own residence was located on the south side of Oak above Vincennes Street.  

In 1883 Peter Vernia passed away and his heirs sold the property to Mary Knirihm. It remained in the Knirihm family until 1948. The house passed through numerous owners until being sold to attorney Robert Kelso in 1973. The photo below shows the home at about this time. 

Mr. Kelso renovated the building as his law office at a time when many businesses where leaving downtown New Albany.  The building continues today as a law office for attorney Rick Fox.

Driving Directions:

Additional Information:
Building Style: Greek Revival/Italianate
Year Built: c.1872

Photo Gallery:

Click a Photo Above for a Larger Version