Jefferson Conner Building
153 East Main Street
New Albany, IN 47150

Listing Description:
It appears that Jefferson Conner had this building constructed shortly after he purchased the lot in November 1856 for $2,000. He was partners with Frank Gillett in the dry goods concern of Conner & Gillett. By 1860, Jefferson had included his son in the business and the name was changed to Jefferson Conner & Son.
The 1863 New Albany City Directory lists Edward M. Hubbert Dry goods as being located here, and in 1865, the name was changed to Hubbert & Co., dealing in foreign and domestic dry goods. James Peake was a partner in this company.
By 1868, Robert L. Williams was operating a dry goods house from the building. Robert had clerked for the Conners as early as 1848.
Around 1870, Smith & Russell, booksellers, stationers and dealers in wallpaper, were occupying the site, with George Smith and Llewellyn Russell being partners in the business. In 1877, Mr. Smith purchased the building and it appears at this time that he became the lone proprietor of the concern and remained in business until 1910.
Much of the front of the building was rebuilt in 2013, following a partial collapse that occurred as the building was being rehabilitated. For his work on the rehabilitation, developer Ron Carter was recoginized with a 2014 'Facelift Award' from the New Albany Historic Preservation Commission.

Driving Directions:

Additional Information:
Building Style: vernacular
Year Built: 1857