Wilcox Building
133-135 East Market Street
New Albany, IN 47150

Listing Description:
Dr. Peleg M. Wilcox had this block of buildings constructed in 1869 in the Italianate style, incorporating a c.1840 building into the new construction at 135. Dr. Wilcox had purchased the original building in July 1849 from Dr. Summerville Leonard and made his office and residence here. The first tenant of the new building at 133 was Nicholas Ruppert, who had a bakery, confectionery and restaurant here, along with dealing in toys and fancy goods. He also resided on the upper floors of the building. 135 East Market continued to be used as physician's offices, first by Peleg Wilcox and later by Willett Wilcox. Dentists Peter T. Green and Frank C. Green also occupied this space, into the mid- and late-1880s. After this time, both buildings were occupied by a number of different businesses, including dry goods and notions, boots and shoes, millinery, queensware and china, hardware, and a meat market. By the mid-1940s, Lewis Stores, Inc., dealers in clothing, carpet and home furnishings, was occupying both buildings and remained here until 1971. In 2006, both buildings underwent an extensive rehabilitation.

Driving Directions:

Additional Information:
Building Style: Italianate
Year Built: 1869