Celebrating preservation success stories
Thursday May 17, 2018

The 2018 Facelift Award winners are:

In the Downtown Historic District -

John Horn Saloon,
114 East Market Street
Steve, Donna & Jacob Resch (owners)

This project was far from Steve Resch’s first rodeo. With almost twenty buildings in the immediate downtown that he has restored and rehabilitated, this structure was by his own account one of the worst of any that he had purchased, making for one of the most dramatic transformations in Facelift Award history.

Built as early as 1840, this structure was used as a saloon from the beginning. By the time Steve bought it in 2017, it was in deplorable condition. In fact, the whole structure had to be rebuilt. The exterior work included: a new roof; a rebuilt cornice, using the original brackets; replicated window hoods and period-appropriate windows; new siding; and a replicated storefront.

The NAHPC thanks Steve, Donna and Jacob for continuing to save and rehabilitate our historic structures, particularly the John Horn Saloon, one of the earliest commercial buildings remaining in our downtown.

Hull & High Water, 324 East Main Street
Steve, Donna & Jacob Resch (owners)

Technically, not in the local preservation district and technically not a historic restoration project, Steve Resch had a vision for this circa 1960 structure that had been built for the Huber Tire Company. He purchased it in 2016, and has transformed this nondescript structure into a whimsical seafood restaurant where you can enjoy fabulous food, along with having a fun time with your family and friends. An abundance of outdoor dining space was created, along with a rooftop bar area that provides panoramic views of Louisville. Opened in 2017, Hull & High Water has added another unique ripple in our ever-growing dining scene.

Again, a big "Thank you!" to the Reschs for their creative vision and thinking outside the box on this endeavor!

In the East Spring Street Historic District -

Wiley-Mayes House, 518 East Market Street
Paul & Wendy Wayland-Smith (owners) 
Andy Carter (contractor and former owner) 

The circa 1860, Wiley-Mayes House was moved to this lot around 1900 from the corner of East 5th and Market streets. It had been divided into several living units when local contractor Andy Carter purchased the long-vacant property in July 2016. He soon began a complete rehabilitation of the property. Projects included, but were not limited to: restoring the original windows and installing storm windows; restoring the original front door; patching the aluminum siding and repairing the original clapboard siding on the front elevation; repointing the brick foundation; replacing rotten beams; and removing an inappropriate front porch enclosure and rebuilding a new front porch, along with replicating the porch columns.

Andy sold the property in August 2017 to Paul and Wendy from Memphis, Tennessee. Both were transferred here to the downtown New Albany-based HMS Global Maritime company, and Wendy is excited about the short, five-block commute from home to work.                                                  

Dr. Frank & Portia Wilcox House, 418 East 11th Street 
Elain Ford (owner)                  
Cliff Duff (contractor and former owner) 

This structure fallen into disrepair and was vacant when contractor Cliff Duff purchased it in 2015. He had restored the historic Neat-Hoffer House around the corner at 1010 East Elm Street in 2013 and actually had won a Facelift Award for that restoration.
This home’s projects included: restoring the original windows; repairing the clapboard wood siding, along with scraping and painting it in a three-color paint scheme; and installing period-appropriate, wooden front doors and creating a new hood over the door in the north wing.
In January 2016, present owner, Elain Ford, bought the property and is very excited to be a part of this up-and-coming neighborhood, not to mention its close proximity to our historic downtown.
In the Mansion Row Historic District

Culbertson Mansion State Historic Site, 914 East Main Street   
CMSHS staff: Jessica Stavros & Kaitlyn Tisdale

Saved from the wrecking ball in 1964 by the newly-formed preservation group, Historic New Albany, the home was rehabbed, furnished and opened to the public. In 1976, it was accepted as a State Historic Site, and a few years later the serious restoration began. That is another story in itself…..
Over the years, the exterior projects have included: replicating the slate roof; rebuilding the first-floor, rear porch; repainting the building several times; restoring the window and shutters; repairing the limestone walls and walks; and returning the original urn the from Manus House on State Street to the front lawn of the Mansion. Most recently, the restoration efforts have included the million-dollar restoration of the cast iron verandas and iron fencing surrounding the property.

Thank you to the Culbertson Mansion staff and the State of Indiana for their ongoing interest and support for this important state-wide historic resource that anchors OUR Mansion Row Historic District.

Ozem & Fannie Sackett House, 217 East 10th Street
Mindy Wiseman (owner)

This home was constructed for downtown New Albany druggist, Ozem Sackett and his wife Fannie around 1870. By the time Mindy purchased the home in the spring of 2016, it had been divided into multi-family, rental units, and had sat vacant for numerous years. Her plan? To bring it back for her own, single-family residence! The restoration work has included: a new roof; repairing the cornice, including the soffit and fascia boards, along with restoring the box gutters; demolition of an outdoor staircase and landing on the north side of the building; removing the inappropriate artifical siding, and restoring the original wood clapboard found underneath; and finally, rebuilding the original windows and adding period-appropriate doors. Presently, the original brick sidewalks are being re-laid and new sod and landscape will complete the project.

The NAHPC is thrilled that this once-vacant eyesore in the Mansion Row Historic district has been transformed back into a residence.  

Jewett-Gordon House, 1501 East Main Street 
Tim & Julie Barclay (owners)

Purchased at sheriff sale in 1998 by two local (and naive!) preservationists, this house was destined for the wrecking ball until the two stepped in. Over the past twenty years, the house has seen three different owners as the restoration of the house progressed. During that time, the projects have included: rebuilding the soffits; restoring the windows and doors; scraping and painting the home in a three color, paint scheme; and installing an in-ground pool. Since last May when the Barclays purchased the home, tasks that have been undertaken have included: repairing the box gutters; restoring the decorative wooden shingles in the dormers; and replacing the front steps. Future tasks this summer will include a new roof and re-landscaping.
Technically, the Jewett-Gordon House, built in 1890, sits just outside the local and national districts. But Tim and Julie, who are new residents to New Albany, understand the importance of continuing the high-degree of restoration of the house, whether it is in a regulated area or not. Comments